The virtual desktop interface is for you if you do not have a machine that can handle the software you need for your classes. With VDI, you can access BYU-Idaho software wherever you are from your personal Windows, Mac, or tablet devices.
To learn more about what a VDI is and how it can be useful to students, visit the article: What is a VDI (Virtual Desktop Interface)?
If you need assistance or help with the steps, contact the I.T. Service Desk at (208) 496-1411 or through the Live Chat bubble. They will either walk you through the install or schedule a time for you to meet with a Technology Support Technician.
1. Launch your preferred web browser.
List of HTML supported web browsers for Windows, Mac, and tablet devices:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Safari (only supported off campus)
2. Go to the following web address: https://vdi.byui.edu
3. Check the box Check here to skip this screen and always use HTML Access and select VMware Horizon HTML Access.
4. Log in with your BYU-Idaho login credentials.
5. Log in with two-factor authentication using one of the following options:
If you have a valid passcode from the Duo Security app or a Duo token, enter the passcode into the field provided and click Continue.
If you would like to receive a Duo Push notification to your device, type 1 in the field provided and click Continue. Follow the instructions on your Duo app as normal.
If you would like to receive a phone call, type 2 in field provided and click Continue. Follow the instructions given in the phone call as normal.
If you would like to receive an SMS (text) passcode, type 3 in the field provided and click Continue. Once you receive the code, enter it into the field provided and click Continue.
6. Select the BYUI Software icon.
7. After you are done using VDI, make sure that you shut down your VDI by selecting the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand corner and clicking Shut Down.
Closing the tab will not log you out. You need to shut down to log out.