Phishing emails are a type of online scam where criminals impersonate legitimate organizations via email to try to steal your sensitive information. As part of the ongoing effort to protect students, faculty, and staff against phishing emails and other cyber attacks, BYU-Idaho has partnered with the Church Educational System Security Operations Center (CESSOC). The CESSOC has a breadth of experience mitigating cyber threats and currently protects several other Church-sponsored institutions.
This article explains the procedure for reporting potential phishing emails to the CESSOC. It is important that the suspect phishing email is attached as an email file instead of forwarded.
Not sure if you've been phished? Check out the article Detecting Phishing.
1. Sign into your BYUI account and open the Outlook webapp.
2. In your Outlook inbox, select New Message.
3. After the new message opens, select the Open in a new window button in the top right-hand corner of your new message.
4. After the new window opens, create a split screen between your email inbox and the new window so that both are visible. Address the new email to [email protected]
5. In your inbox, click and drag the suspect phishing email over to the body text field of your new message draft.
6. You will see the phishing email appear as an attachment in the body of your new message draft.
7. Click Send. There is a Send button at the top and the bottom of the email draft, either one will work.
1. Open the Outlook Desktop App.
2. Select the suspect phishing email in your inbox.
3. Select More from the Respond section of the Home tab. This will open a drop-down menu with the option Forward as Attachment.
4. Select Forward as Attachment. This will open a new message draft in a new window with the suspicious email as an attachment.
5. Address the new message draft to [email protected].
5. Click Send.
1. Open the Outlook Desktop App
2. Find the suspect phishing email and right click the email.
3. Select Forward As Attachment from the drop-down menu.
3. A new message draft window will open with the suspicious email attached. Address the email to [email protected].
4. Click Send.