Learn how to add contacts, create contact lists, and properly send mass emails according to policy and with the Cc and Bcc features so you can communicate with the most important people in the most appropriate way.
1. Go to the Navigation Bar and select People.
2. Type the name of the person you wish to add into the Find a Contact bar or select Address Book to look the person up.
3. Select the name of the person you want to add, then select Add to Contacts.
1. Open Outlook.
2. Select New Items, and then select Group.
3. In the window that appears, enter a name and description for the group in the appropriate boxes, then click Next.
4. Type the names of contacts you would like to add in the Enter names or email addresses box. Once you have added all the members you wish to add, select Next.
5. Select from the list either Public or Private for the privacy of your group. Leave the selected box next to Send a copy of all group conversations... and click Create.
6. The contact group will be saved in your Contacts folder under the name you gave it in step 4.
Officially, emails that consist of more than 500 recipients per message cannot be sent or received through a BYU-Idaho email account. Additionally, Microsoft limits emails to 10,000 recipients per day. Sending a lot of emails in a short period of time to a wide list of users may qualify you for being blocked.Please note that with the recent phishing attacks, BYU-Idaho has implemented stricter sender limits which are as follows:
- 1000 recipients per day for employees
- 500 recipients per day for students
- 100 recipients per day for alumni
If you exceed these limits Microsoft will block your mailbox from sending any emails and each time you try to send it will return an error. The only way to enable sending again will be to contact the Messaging Support team. If you are consistently attempting to send emails to more than 1000 recipients daily, you have two options:
1: Contact University Relations so they can send mass emails on your behalf. Please use the following URL to learn more about how to request mass emails through University Relations: https://www.byui.edu/university-communications/diy#email-communications
2: Contact the Messaging Support team so they can help set up a shared mailbox that has a larger sender limit. Please use the following URL to learn more about how to request a shared mailbox through the Messaging Support team: https://techguides.byui.edu/a/1164891-requesting-or-accessing-department-emails
If you are consistently attempting to send emails to more than 10,000 recipients daily, contact University Relations for other options.
Secretaries/Office Assistants who routinely send emails to their departments should contact the Messaging Support team for assistance in sending mass emails.
The following are topics that should be approved and sent through University Relation's established process:
- Daily updates to employees containing general news and information.
- Important emails from the President/President’s Council, announcements of death, and time-sensitive schedule changes.
- Emergency emails about weather warnings, catastrophes, and evacuations.
- Student updates, including activities, societies, associations, updates, and other important information.
When sending approved mass emails from your BYU-Idaho account or to BYU-Idaho recipients (students, faculty, staff, and alumni), campus procedure strongly encourages that you use the "bcc" (Blind Carbon Copy) option.
"Bcc" is the practice of sending an email to multiple recipients without disclosing the complete list of recipients.
You should "Bcc" when:
- You are sending a copy of your correspondence to a third party (for example, a colleague) and you do not want to let the recipient know the third party’s email address.
- You are sending an email to multiple recipients so that you can hide their email addresses from each other. This is a sensible anti-spam precaution because it avoids making a long list of email addresses available to all recipients.
1. When sending a new email message, select Cc.
2. In the pop-up window that appears, enter the email addresses of all recipients into the Bcc section at the bottom.
3. Once you have entered the desired email addresses, select OK.
4. Write the email and select Send.