To set up Persuall, first click on Assignments in the course.
In the group where you would like to add the Perusall assignment, click on the + button.
- Select "Assignment" for Type,
- Give the assignment a name,
- Add a due date if desired,
- Set the points to 3 as Perusall will grade the assignment with a score ranging from 0 to 3. You can give the assignment a higher point value but you will have to change the grade of the student manually to reflect that score.
- Click on the "More Options" button.
If you gave the assignment more than 3 points, make sure in the "Display Grade as" box you have "Percentage" option selected.
Scroll down to Submission Type and select "External Tool". Click on the "Find" button.
Load in a New Tab
Scroll down and click on "Perusall" then click "Select". Check the box next to "Load This Tool In A New Tab".
Save & Publish
Click "Save & Publish" at the bottom of the page.
Add Assignment to Module
Return to modules and click on the + to add the assignment to the desired module.
Select the assignment from the list and click "Add Item".
Adding Assignments to Perusall
Navigate to Perusall through Canvas Assignment
Click on the Perusall assignment that has been created.
Click the button to load the assignment in a new window.
Perusall Course Setup
Click on "Course Setup" on the left side of the page.
Click on the "Readings" tab that is on the top navigation bar.
Click the "+Add" button to add the assignment document or drag the file to this window and drop it.
- Select the assignment and
- Click the "Assign" button or drag the document from the Documents on the left to Assignments on the right.
- Click "Set name and deadline"
- Edit the assignment a deadline,
- Edit the Assignment name,
- Edit the Instructions for students (Optional)
- Click "Set optional advanced options"
- Override the number annotations required for full credit. (Note the number in parentheses is the default course setting.)
- Change the assignment visibility dates
- Click "Save" when you are finished.
Copy Exact Assignment Name for Canvas
In order to insure that Persuall and Canvas function properly together, the assignment name in Perusall and Canvas must be an identical match.
- Click on the assignments under the Assignments section
- Click the copy button above.
Back to Canvas
Return to the Canvas module where the assignment is located and click on the 3 dots.
Click on "Edit".
Paste the contents into the Title section then click "Update". Now when the students click on the assignment it will open directly to the document.
Importing Graded Perusall Assignments Into Canvas
Click on "Gradebook" within Perusall.
Click Download button found at the top right of the page.
Open the downloaded file. The file will look similar to this but with more students and different scores depending on the number of annotations required.
Change the data to the following format. If the points for the assignment is higher than 3, change the score from a number to the percentage the student has earned.
Click "File" at the top.
Choose "Save As."
Change the File Extension
Change the file extension to be "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)". This allows the file to be imported correctly into Canvas. Click on the "Save" button.
Click "OK" on the popup.
Return to Canvas and go to "Grades".
Click on the "Import" button found on the right of the page.
Click on the "Choose File" button and select the gradebook CSV file that contains the grades that was exported from Perusall. Then click "Upload Data".
Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page. Click "OK" on the popup.