How Do I Setup a Graded VoiceThread Activity in Canvas?
VoiceThread provides a different way to engage with a presentation. It allows people to navigate slides and leave comments in 5 ways - using voice (with a mic or telephone), text, audio file, or video (via a webcam).
The steps below will create a link in your course modules that, when clicked on (by teacher and students) will sign the user in, and enroll them in a course group within VoiceThread.
Creating a VoiceThread Assignment
To set up a VoiceThread assignment, first click on the assignments tab in Canvas.
Add New Assignment
In the assignment group that you wish to add the assignment, click on the "+" button.
Name, Date & Points
- Name the assignment,
- Add a due date
- Add in the point value.
- When you are done, click "More Options".
- In the submission type section, select "External Tool"
- Then click on the "Find" button.
- Scroll down the list and click on "VoiceThread"
- Then click "Select".
When you are done editing the assignment click on "Save & Publish" at the bottom of the page.
Click on "Assignment Builder".
Choose which type of assignment you would like to create.
- Create a VT - Results in an assignment where students are required to create their own VT.
- Submit a Comment - Results in an assignments where students are required to comment on content in an existing VT that the teacher has created. Could be used for Quizzing. (The remainder of the tutorial below follows instructions for this type of assignment)
- Watch a VT - Results in students being required to watch an existing VT
Submit a Comment
The instructions below are for the "Submit a Comment" assignment type.
Choose the VoiceThread students will comment on
Click on the VoiceThread presentation you wish to use for this assignment.
*Note: You can choose one you've already created or create a new VoiceThread here.
- Enter in a description for the assignment if you wish
- then specify the number of comments that are required for the students to make on the presentation.
- When done, click "Create Assignment".
*Note: Currently there is no way to change these assignment details after this step is complete. If you make any mistakes in your assignment setup, you will need to delete the assignment in Canvas then create a new assignment following the steps at the top of this page.
You will then be presented with a screen that says the assignment was created successfully. The assignment is now created and ready for the students. Be sure to publish the assignment so the students can access it.
You might also be interested in: